Meaning Of Yoga Mudras
The word ‘Mudra’ is originated from the Sanskrit language which means ‘Seal’ or ‘Closure’. In Hindi and Buddhist tradition ‘Yoga Mudras’ are rituals that show some symbolic gestures.
Yoga Mudras are done at the time of practicing Pranayama. In other words, we can call it as a meditation by which energy directly flows into our body. The Yoga Mudras are known as ‘Yoga Hand Mudra’ but there are also many other Mudras that can be performed by our whole body.
In India, every God and Goddess hold some particular type of Yoga Mudra which is the symbol of some particular energy. Each finger that is used during these mudras represents an element which is used to symbolize different gestures.
5 Elements of Yoga Mudra within Us
Our Five Fingers stand for five elements by which the whole universe is made of. These are:
- The Thumb: It represents the fire and also universal consciousness.
- The Index Finger: Represents air and also individual consciousness.
- The Middle Finger: that represent akasha and also stands for connection.
- The Ring Finger: It represents Earth and also stands for home.
- The Little Finger: It represents water and also stands for fluidity and adaptability.
It is very important for our human body that these elements should be in balance otherwise our body would be a house of many diseases. The one and the only way to create a balance between these elements is ‘Yoga Mudra’.
Commonly used Mudras and their Benefits
1. Gyana Mudra
Gyan Mudra is among the most widely used mudras. Gyan Mudra also referred to as chin mudra. To practice Gyan Mudra sit in a meditation position with your hands placed on your knees facing in Upward direction. Then fold your index finger and toutch it to the tip of your thumb, also keep your remaining three fingers in slightly stretched position straight. Now relax your body and focus on your hand position with little pressure between your index finger and thumb tips. And as each finger represent an element within us, this represents the unity of air and fire and also referred to as the unity of self and outside world.
Benefits of Gyan Mudra:
- It helps increase concentration.
- With this person mind will develop creativity.
- Increases Knowledge gesture.
- It will help you in relaxing the body and mind.
- It works on the nervous system and brain and helps to stimulate them.
- gives you peace of mind while relieving your stress.
2. Surya Ravi Mudra
Surya Ravi Mudra is practiced using your thumb and ring finger. This mudra is widely used for improving your digestion system. When the digestion system works properly that can help in maintaining body weight. To practice Surya Ravi Mudra sit straight in a meditation position with your hands placed on your knees. Now touch the tip of your ring finger with the tip of the thumb and apply slight pressure between them. Keep your remaining fingers straight and while practicing this your palm should be facing upward. Now relax your body and focus on your ring finger and thumb pressure. This will give a feeling of balance in your body and represents health and energy.
Benefits of Surya Ravi Mudra:
- Helps in reducing weight by improving the digestion system.
- Helps in getting positive changes in your health and life.
- With weight loss, it energizes your body and makes you feel active.
- Helps to increase your eye vision.
- keep your cholesterol level in control.
3. Prana Mudra
Prana Mudra is for activating the hidden energy in our body. To get more energy water and earth element should be increased in our body and this Mudra help in increasing them. So this will give you immense energy. To practice Prana Mudra sit in a relaxed meditation position with your hands facing upward on your knees. Now fold your ring finger and little finger and touch the tip of thumb with these two fingers while keeping remaining fingers little stretched. Now put some pressure between tip of your ring finger, little finger and thumb.
Benefits of Prana Mudra
- Prana Mudra makes you feel active while providing more energy to the body.
- With energy reduces fatigue, tension, sleeplessness, and panic behavior.
- Help fight diseases caused due to water reduction like acidity, joint pain.
- Increase immunity and make stronger against disease.
- Makes you feel strong and active during whole day work.
4. Vayu Mudra
In Hindi Language, Vayu means air. Vayu Mudra help in increasing the air element within our body.